Grandvewe Sapphire Blue!
"What a Royal"
Start the trumpets and lay down the royal carpet, the king of French cheeses is rolling on in! Being dubbed Grandvewe’s signature cheese, their Sapphire Blue is made using the famous Penicillium Roqueforti. Oh yes, sounds pretty royal you say? Well we’d say that’s an accurate assumption!
Its characteristic marbled blue veins are created from traditional methods of ripening the wheels in caves with currents of air let in to assist the mould development process. Oh-la-la, it’s a wheel of status all right!
Soft yet crumbly, with a spicy, sea-salty flavour. The greenish- blue veining characteristics make it easily recognisable as a Roqueforti and oh so irresistible. Show it off as a dessert cheese paired with a sweet dessert wine, serve crumbled with a side salad or enjoy as it is, anytime you’re feeling like a royal treat!
Grab a wheel, so you can share, or so you can pretend you’ll share… we won’t judge you!
Who is Grandvewe?
Grandvewe is situated 40mins due South of Hobart overlooking the calm waters between Bruny Island and the "mainland" (as mainland as Tasmania can get). This family run farm and cheesemaking also includes a vodka distillery. Can life get any better?
How does it taste?
Grandvewe Sapphire Blue is aged for up to 4 months and has a rich distinct flavour with an underlying ewe’s milk derived sweetness. At times this cheese shows hints of smoked meat on the finish – a characteristic of small amounts of brevi. What a combo of flavours!
Why Sapphire Blue is the cheese for you
- Buying Grandvewe cheese means you’re helping to support a very small family-owned cheesemaker who supports small, family-run sheep milk suppliers too!
- Sheep milk has twice as much protein as cow and goat milk, roughly 1.5 times the Vitamin B12, Calcium, Magnesium and Folate and four times the vitamin C than goat milk (there's none in cow’s milk).
- 98% of lactose intolerant people can consume sheep cheese with no digestive upset.
- Sheep milk is free from cholesterol and monounsaturated fat.
- A photo of you with your wheel will make you look 97% more attractive on Facebook. We guarantee this.
Awards held by this cheese include: Award-winning at the Champion Cheese of the Show – Sydney Royal Show 2012, Finalist for Australia’s President's Award, and Top 6 of 6000 Fine Foods of Australia 2012
Blessed are the cheesemakers.
The Nitty Gritty
If you would like us to delay your pack, please let us know.
We send all parcels the fastest way possible which is either via our own Cheese Angel delivery service or AusPost Express, depending on your location. Cost of shipping is $15 and this will be added to your order on checkout. Packs sent AusPost are wrapped in a special insulation blanket with gel ice packs. Packs delivered by our Cheese Angels travel in a refrigerated truck and you will receive notification on the day of delivery.
Each wheel is roughly 2.2kg. As this is a handmade product, weights will vary.