Grandvewe Old Man!
"The trustiest cheese around"
Don’t let the name throw you off. Think of your trusty, reliable old man, not just any old man… sorry to give you that visual. Let’s get back to the cheese!
This is the kind of comfort cheese that just makes everything better. Being a semi-hard matured style cheese, you can just whip it out and munch away, straight off the wheel! Doing anything else would be stripping the honour from him. As an advanced cheese the Old Man doesn’t need a companion, but if you are feeling a little rebellious, he still goes alright with a bit of fruit chutney.
Gandvewe wash the rind with Brevi Linens and use Cardon Thistle as the rennet of choice, giving the old man a nice rind.
Originally crafted so Grandvewe could use the Raclette machine, it melts well on toast, potatoes or anything really! Gooey, warm, melted goodness he is!
With an entire wheel, you can nibble and melt away until your heart desires.
Who is Grandvewe?
Grandvewe is situated 40mins due South of Hobart overlooking the calm waters between Bruny Island and the "mainland" (as mainland as Tasmania can get). This family run farm and cheesemaking also includes a vodka distillery. Can life get any better?
How does it taste?
Grandvewe Old Man has sweet, nutty characteristics and like most old men, it pairs perfectly with a hearty ale or a dry cider!
Why Old Man is the cheese for you
- Buying Grandvewe cheese means you’re helping to support a very small family-owned cheesemaker who supports small, family-run sheep milk suppliers too!
- Sheep milk has twice as much protein as cow and goat milk, roughly 1.5 times the Vitamin B12, Calcium, Magnesium and Folate and four times the vitamin C than goat milk (there's none in cow’s milk).
- 98% of lactose intolerant people can consume sheep cheese with no digestive upset.
- Sheep milk is free from cholesterol and monounsaturated fat.
- A photo of you with your wheel will make you look 97% more attractive on Facebook. We guarantee this.
Blessed are the cheesemakers.
The Nitty Gritty
If you would like us to delay your pack, please let us know.
We send all parcels the fastest way possible which is either via our own Cheese Angel delivery service or AusPost Express, depending on your location. Cost of shipping is $15 and this will be added to your order on checkout. Packs sent AusPost are wrapped in a special insulation blanket with gel ice packs. Packs delivered by our Cheese Angels travel in a refrigerated truck and you will receive notification on the day of delivery.
Each wheel is roughly 5kg. As this is a handmade product, weights will vary.